To school your children in Malta, you have the choice between private and public institutes. Private schools in Malta are slightly different to those in the rest of the world, particularly with the practice of English and Maltese, but also in terms of the school syllabus. Studies take place between September and June, between the hours of 8 a.m. and 2 p.m. in most establishments.
General information about private schools in Malta:
- The Maltese educational system is similar to the British system. Education standards are remarkably high and comparable to those in the UK.
- Education in Malta is compulsory between 5 and 16 years old, and is structured in four stages:
- Kindergarten, from 3 to 5 years old
- Primary, from 5 to 11 years old
- Secondary, from 11 to 18 years old
- Post-secondary, 18+
- The official secondary program lasts 6 years and includes general subjects such as Maltese, English, mathematics, social studies, etc…
- The Secondary Education Certificate (SEC) exams are taken at the end of schooling in Malta, usually at the age of 16. Students who wish to continue their studies sit for entrance exams (based on the International Baccalaureate) at the age of 18, which will determine accessibility to universities and colleges.
- Schools in Malta adhere to a slightly different schedule. The school day is usually between 8:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m., after which children have some homework to supplement their learning. This can take up to 2 hours a day and is an integral part of the education system in Malta.
- CAUTION. Applications for private schools are high, and it is not uncommon to have long waiting lists. You should make your application as early as possible, preferably 1 to 2 years in advance.
From kindergarten to Post-Secondary:
Documents for registration:
Each school may ask for different documents for the registration of children. Your first step will be to contact the chosen school, which will then give you an appointment for a meeting and explain all the steps necessary to create your registration file.
There will usually be admission tests to be performed by your children, which cover maths and English.
Each school reserves the right to choose which children will be accepted for the school year. The principle of “first come, first served” is often mentioned, but the school may choose certain profiles regardless of their date of application.
The annual cost of private schools varies according to each school. However, these are usually very expensive, between 1000 and 6000 euros per year.
You will also be asked to pay for all supplies, uniforms, school trips, etc.
List of the main private schools in Malta:
- The Newark Nursey and Kindergarden à Sliema
+356 2131 3121 // Newark Kindergarden
- St Cecilia’s Kindergarden à Attard
Primary and secondary schools:
- QSI International School of Malta // +356 2137 4396
- San Andrea School // +356 2141 8687
- San Anton School // +356 2158 1907
- St. Edwards College // +356 2182 5978
- St. Martin’s College // +356 2134 5146
- St. Michael Senior School // +356 2138 3647
Main private universities in Malta:
American University of Malta
- Business management
- Bachelor’s degree in the fields of science and art.
- Possibility of English courses for those who have not passed the TOEIC Admission Tests (EAP – English for Academic Purpose)
For more information, you can visit their website: American University of Malta.
Middlesex University Malta
- IT – including cyber security, IT management, network and hardware, etc.
- Business – including IBA (International Business Administration) and IBM (International Business Management)
For more information, you can visit their website: Middlesex University Malta.
London School of Commerce, Malta
- Master’s in business administration
- Bachelor’s in business administration – Possibility to do it while working.
For more information, you can visit their website: London School of Commerce, Malta.
Global College Malta
- Master Business Administration
- Master of Science in Cloud Technology
- Master of Science in Strategy, Leadership and Change Management
- Master of Science in Petroleum Engineering Management
- Possibility of taking the bachelor’s degree in many fields – accounting, management, marketing, tourism, etc.
For more information, you can visit their website: Global College Malta.
List of all schools in Malta (public and private):
Government link of private schools in Malta:
Government link for higher education in Malta:
Student Visa Application:
Choosing a private school in Malta ensures quality standards of education and also an environment favourable to better learning for your child. Thanks to being immersed in the English and Maltese languages on a daily basis, and an education program that proves its worth every year, this is by far the best option for your child’s studies, if your budget allows it.